So, you just had flowers delivered to you, now what?
- Keep fresh flowers away from drafts and extreme temperatures, which can quickly dry out the flowers and cause wilting.If your flowers came in plastic, remove this as soon as possible.
- Do not place your arrangement near fruit, fresh produce or in the path of cigarette smoke. The ethylene gas is detrimental to many flower types.
- Avoid placing flower arrangements in window sills and other areas with full sun where flowers can wilt due to overheating.
- Most flowers will last longer under cool conditions.
How To Keep Your Flowers Looking Fresh
- Keep your vase filled with water! All flower and foliage stems should be submerged. Flowers stay fresher, longer when they can get a drink.
- If your flowers came in a container with foam, add fresh water every day.
- Immediately remove dead or wilting leaves and stems from fresh flower arrangements.
- Watch your water. When it gets cloudy it’s time to change it out (usually every 3-4 days)
How to Change the Water in Your Flower Arrangement
- First remove any dead or dying flowers from the arrangement.
- After carefully removing the good flowers, clean the vase thoroughly with soapy water to remove any bacteria that could cause the fresh flowers to deteriorate even quicker. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Replace the water and mix in the flower preservative provided by Sage Sisters, according to the instructions on the packet.
- For best results, cut stems with a sharp knife at an angle about one to two inches from the bottom. This allows them to better absorb water. Do not use scissors to cut your flowers because they can crush the stems and prevent water absorption.